Ask Kim


Tax Breaks for Charitable Work

[Question]As a retiree, I've been volunteering more with nonprofits. Can I deduct expenses when traveling to meetings on behalf of the charities? - S.A., Marietta, Ga.

[Answer]You can deduct unreimbursed travel expenses as a charitable donation if you file an itemized tax return and the trip is primarily for your work with the nonprofit. You can deduct airfare, lodging, meals and--if driving--parking, tolls and mileage at a rate of 14 cents per mile. Keep a mileage log with the date and reason for the trip. You should get a letter from the charity confirming your activity and stating that no goods or services were exchanged, says Morris Armstrong, an enrolled agent in Cheshire, Conn., who can represent taxpayers before the IRS.

SEE ALSO: Smart Strategies for Giving to Charity


Copyright 2019 The Kiplinger Washington Editors

More from

See more stories in this category

Back to Previous Page

Ask Kim

When to Transfer Ownership of a Custodial Account

[Question]My son is turning 18 this year. Do I need to contact my brokerage firm to transfer ownership...

Borrowers Get More Time to Repay 401(k) Loans

[Question]I understand that the new tax law changed the deadline for repaying a 401(k) loan if you...

When It Pays to Buy Travel Insurance

[Question]I'm going on vacation to the Caribbean this summer. Is it a good idea to buy travel...

It's Not Too Late to Boost Retirement Savings...

[Question]Is it too late to contribute to my retirement savings for 2018?[Answer]It's too late to...

How Your HSA Can Reimburse You for Medicare...

[QUESTION]You told another reader that people can't make new contributions to a health savings account...

Next Page >
Provided by Kiplinger